The University of Murcia has 5 different campuses:
- Espinardo Campus is located just 5 km north from the city centre. In this campus there are 16 faculties and 1 University School where most students are gathered.
- La Merced Campus. Located in the city centre. Faculties of Law and Arts.
- Medical and Health Studies Campus. Located next to the suburban area known as "Ciudad Sanitaria Virgen de la Arrixaca", 5 km south from the city.
- Sports Sciences Campus. Located in San Javier, 44 km south-east from Murcia city.
- Lorca Campus. Located 70 km away from Murcia city. Recently built. Nursing and nutrition studies.
All academic information can be found at: http://www.um.es/estudios
La Merced Campus: http://www.um.es/universidad/planos/merced/index.php
Espinardo Campus: http://www.accessia.es/
Sports Sciences Campus: http://www.um.es/universidad/planos/sanjavier.php
Medical and Health Studies Campus: http://www.um.es/universidad/planos/ccsalud.php
El Carmen Station (Murcia) - Tel:+34 968 25 25 72 - http://www.renfe.es
San Andrés Station (Murcia) - Tel:+34 968 29 22 11 - http://www.estaciondeautobusesdemurcia.com/
Motorways and toll roads
Toll road AP-7 (France/Barcelona) & Motorway A-7 (Barcelona/Valencia/Alicante/ Murcia)
Motorway A-30: Madrid/Albacete/Murcia/Cartagena
Motorway A-7: Andalusia
How to get to the Campus Espinardo?
Bus: line 39. The easiest bus stop to find: Gran Vía Escultor Salzillo (next to Banco de España, direction Plaza Circular). Bus service each 15 minutes. At the Espinardo Campus, alight at the "Químicas" stop.
Tram: line 1B. Departure from Plaza Circular. Stop at Espinardo Campus: "Centro Social" (Social Centre). Rector Soler is building number 18, 2nd floor.
How can I get a ticket/bus pass?
FOR THE BUS:
- In the bus. Approximate price: Ticket: 1,50 euros.
- UNIBONO (https://bonobus.um.es/): to apply for it, you need a University of Murcia e-mail address.
FOR THE TRAM
- At the ticket dispensers of the tram stops.
- UNIBONO: (https://bonotranvia.um.es) It costs 20,40 euros/month with unlimited travel. Only for students. To apply for it, you need a University of Murcia e-mail address.
If you need more information, enter at: http://www.um.es/alumnos/transporte/index.php
A wide range of facilities. These are mainly at the Espinardo Campus:
- Sport halls
- Football, rugby and seven-a-side football pitches
- Aerobic and weight rooms, gymnasium
- Tennis, squash and "pelota" courts
- Training areas, a climbing wall and an indoor swimming pool
The Sport Activities Service promotes and organises sport at all levels and for all groups in the university community: http://www.um.es/deportes
Five canteens available for general use:
- City centre: La Merced Campus and "Colegio Mayor Azarbe".
- Espinardo Campus: "Centro Social Universitario", "Apartamentos Campus" and Faculty of Economics and Business.
Dining areas (lunch time) available from 1.00 pm. to 3.30 pm.
Extensive cafeteria services in the majority of the university buildings (available from 8.00 am to 7.30 pm)
Student ID card incorporates a chip where information about the cardholder is stored. Uses:
- Library services
- Access to computer rooms
- Consulting of academic records
- Enrolment on elective courses
- Booking sports facilities
- Access the virtual campus (SUMA) and information of the university with guaranteed safety.
It is used for many other purposes:
- Access to the Virtual Secretaries' Offices
- Payment in telephone booths, taxis, shops, vending machines, etc
These are the steps for wi-fi connection:
- Select the wireless network "Icarum".
- Open a Internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer,...)
- Go to the address https://icarum.um.es/login
- Introduce username and password (@um.es)
- Ready for use.
If you need healthcare while on a temporary stay in another member state, you can go directly to a care provider with your European Health Insurance Card or equivalent document.
NON EU CITIZENS
Citizens from outside the EU, Switzerland, and EEA must take out a medical insurance policy in their country before travelling or with a Spanish provider immediately on arrival. If the policy is not in Spanish, it must be translated and it must state that it covers international medical assistance in case of accident or illness. In any case, we advise to consult these requirements with the Spanish consulates at the home country.
For emergencies: In Spain, public hospitals receive emergencies regardless the nationality or the health insurance of the patient.
For emergencies, call into:
- Hospital General Universitario Morales Meseguer
C/ Marqués de los Vélez, s/n - 30008 (Murcia)
Phone: 968 360 900 / 968 244 200
Fax: 968 243 895
- Hospital Reina Sofía
Avda. Intendente Jorge Palacios, 2, 30003 (Murcia)
Phone: 968 359 000
C/ Santa Clara
Phone: +34 968 220 659
Plaza de Belluga
Phone:+34 968 358 600 ext. 1622 and 1624
Phone:+34 968 358 749
Information about some towns of Murcia and their festivals:
Caravaca de la Cruz: http://www.caballosdelvino.com
Lorca and its Holy Week: http://www.semanasantalorca.com
There is a wide range of supermarkets all around the city from small grocery stores to department stores in the outskirts of the city. Those with the best prices and a wide range of products are the following:
- MERCADONA (you will find them all around the city)
- EL ÁRBOL
- SUPER DUMBO
Department stores in the outskirts:
- Carrefour Atalayas near La Flota neighbourhood
- Carrefour Espinardo at the end of Juan Carlos I Avenue
El Corte Inglés Department Store Supermarket: it is not cheap but you will find a huge variety of named brands.
"Plazas"(markets): They are a popular places to do the daily shopping. There you will find a big variety of fresh daily products at very good prices. They only open in the morning. In Murcia you will find them in the following places:
- VERÓNICAS (the oldest and biggest one): in front of Segura River (Manterola's bridge)
- SAAVEDRA FAJARDO: just a couple of minutes walking from the Faculty of Law
- EL CARMEN in the popular "Barrio del Carmen"
- SAN ANDRÉS: in front of the Bus Station
There are two weekly markets on Thursdays in La Fama and Santa María de Gracia.
Malls: located in the suburbs. Bus line 1 and Tramway serve the city centre and malls area: Nueva Condomina and Thader. Business Hours: 10:00-22:00.
- MediaMarkt : home appliances.
- Ikea: homewear, home accessories: storage options, lighting, decor products, kitchen appliances.
Mobile phones: There are 4 major cell phone companies in Spain: MOVISTAR, VODAFONE, ORANGE and YOIGO. Each one has offers and promotions. Information on:
You can also go to TELECOR (Telecommunications Department of El Corte Inglés Department Store). Information about the companies is available there. El Corte Inglés. Gran Vía Escultor Salzillo.
Murcia is an ancient, Mediterranean and hospitable city which was founded and fortified in 825 AD in the fertile plains of the River Segura by Abderraman II. It was called Mursiya.
Murcia - a paradise of light and orange blossom - is a cheerful, outgoing city, crowned by its Cathedral, the Church of Nuestro Padre Jesús (home to the museum of the celebrated sculptor, Salzillo), the Episcopal Palace, the Convent of Santa Ana, the Church of San Miguel, the Monastery of Santa Clara la Real, Almudí Palace, the Sancutary of la Fuensanta, the Gardens of the Malecón, and the Casino. Other points of interest are the Museum of Murcia and the Hydraulic Museum, as well as the waterwheels of the Segura river in Murcia and the surrounding villages which make up the scenery of our Region.
Murcia also enjoys a wealth of festivities: carnivals (February), Holy Week(March- April), the Spring Festivals (March/April), the Fair of Murcia (September), and Christmas (December), which, together with cinema, theatre, and music festivals, conferences, and art exhibitions make up the exciting cultural life in the city. Many of these events take place in the "Teatro Romea" and "Centro de Congresos" of the Region of Murcia while others are sponsored by various savings banks (cajas de ahorros).
In our Region, you can enjoy the coast practically year-round but, above all, during the Easter holidays and summer. There exists a huge variety of water activities in which you can take part including sailing, windsurfing, water-skiing, scuba diving, etc.
The average temperature during the year ranges from 12°C in winter to 25.5°C in summer. The climate is dry, hot in summer and mild in winter and Murcia is among the cities in Spain which receive the most sunshine throughout the year.
A spit of land, La Manga, runs parallel to the coast of Murcia forming a small sea of its own, known as the Mar Menor, while its other beaches are bathed by the Mediterranean. The seaside resorts of the Mar Menor include San Javier, La Ribera, Los Alcázares, and, of course, La Manga itself.
If you fancy hiking rather than swimming, we would recommend the Natural Park of Calblanque and the beautiful coves and coastal areas which surround this area.
For the nature lover, there are a number of activities in the mountains. You can enjoy the walls of the Leyva in the Sierra Espuña or the Panocha in El Valle, where you can climb, cycle, trek or simply hike.
You have probably already heard about the famous Spanish "tapas". In Murcia, there are a great number of bars and squares where you can enjoy a delicious appetiser in the open air. The most well-known Murcian tapas include: pisto (made of tomatoes, onions, eggplant or courgettes, green and red peppers and olive oil), zarangollo (made of eggs, zucchini, onion, and occasionally potatoes), ensalada murciana (Murcian salad), etc., all of which are prepared with vegetables from our abundant Murcia markets.
Some of the most popular bars are El Palomo and Los Toneles, both located in C/ Cánovas del Castillo, the Pepico del Tío Ginés in C/ las Mulas, Los Zagales in C/ Polo de Medina, El Patio in C/ Paco, La Parranda in the Plaza San Juan and El Tío Sentao en C/La Manga.
At weekends, the bars serving tapas in Plaza del las Flores, la Plaza Mayor, and Alfonso X el Sabio are always full. If you want a formal meal, there exist restaurants in every part of the city where you will find top quality food at a friendly price.